Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Holiday Baking Season is Upon Us!

I have been very busy with work over the past couple weeks. As a dialysis unit, we are generally closed on Sunday BUT we are open 2 Sundays a year; the one before Thanksgiving and the Sunday before Christmas (unless Christmas is on a Sunday). This is so we can close on the holiday to enable the patients and staff to spend that day with their families. Most dialysis patients need their treatment 3 times a week thus we have to be open 6 days a week. I worked the weekend before Thanksgiving and my only day off was Thanksgiving. I also have picked up some overtime due to staff shortages (Christmas $$$). I have some paid days off coming up mid month and Christmas falls during my long weekend so that will be good. Maybe I can get caught up on all the things I have put on the back burner.

I LOVE to bake! I generally begin baking for the holidays shortly after Thanksgiving so I began today with a new to me cookie recipe I got over at the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards. Every year at this time the cookies threads are abundant and I have gotten many a good recipe from them over the past few years. I really enjoy trying new cookie recipes and I think you can never have too many of them! Recipes that is!

Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles are spicy and crispy on the outside yet tender in the middle. These have a deep chocolate flavor and like a traditional snickerdoodle, are rolled in a sugar/spice mixture before baking.
I made mine just slightly larger than the recipe states since my "cookie" scoop actually holds about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough. After baking for 17 minutes (my size cookies in my oven) they come out puffed and crispy around the edges.
They passed the "taste test" with the family so I think these will be a keeper and go on the cookie trays this year. They certainly look pretty!
I hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe Thanksgiving. Stay tuned to see what else I come up with to make for the Holidays! Until next time...

2 Comments:

  • At 11/28/2006 03:06:00 AM, Blogger Casey Galatos said…

    Your recipes sound too mouth watering...will have to try them out during the holidays...and will closey follow your posts for more of the yummy delights...and hey i've also posted a little something on the holidays over at my Holiday Blog so visit it sometime and share some of the fun and cheer of the holidays!!!!

     
  • At 12/08/2006 10:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that recipe looks sooo good! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home